Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Old Soldiers Never Die...I Hope

     Back in November, I received my retirement packet from the US Army Resources Command. I had to fill it out, get it notarized, go to the bank and get a form for direct deposit, etc. The instructions told me to mail it back in the envelope provided and don't send it registered, certified, or anything else. If I wanted confirmation they received it, put a self-addressed stamped postcard inside and they send it back to me.
     So I mailed it in January and I'm still waiting for the self-addressed stamped postcard and since January, I've been obsessing about whether they processed the packet or not. 
     Approximately six months before my 60th birthday, I'm supposed to receive orders placing me on the US Army Retired List and confirming that my retirement pay will start on my birthday.  That's about six months away and I'm still waiting for that notification, too.
     Anyway, to make a short story even shorter, today I found a resource on line for a local Retirement NCO right over on Sidco Drive at the National Guard Armory who's supposed to help out "Gray Area Retirees" which is what someone who's retired but has not yet reached age 60 is called.  Gray area. Evidently they got a look at my hair.
     I called the number and got a recording. Things sure have changed in the 16 years I've been gone. In my day, we wouldn't dream of having a call answered by voice mail.  A person would answer it.
     So I told the machine who I was and that I was the Chief of the Personnel Services Branch before the one they've got now, and here's my problem, and please give me a call.
     And guess what I'm still waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment